Episcopal Church of the Ascension History

When We Began

Although earlier Protestant Episcopal services had been held in Vallejo, it was on July 21, 1867 that Bishop William Kip conducted services in Vallejo, California and the announcement was made that a church, Church of the Ascension, would be established in Vallejo.

The cornerstone was laid May 4, 1868 on a two lot Georgia Street site donated by General John Frisbie, Vallejo's founder. For the next 100 years, Ascension Parish and its members took an active and important part in the building and modernizing of Vallejo. As was the case in many American communities in the early 20th century, Ascension Episcopalians were influential members of the city, the schools and the social community.

However, soon after the 100th anniversary, Ascension Church was destroyed by fire in July 1969. The Georgia Street location was sold and the church was rebuilt on Tuolumne Street. It was dedicated in 1971.